Legal Help With Motions To Relocate With A Custodial Child

When your divorce court awarded you custody of your child, it probably came with conditions relative to the other parents parenting rights and visitation schedule. In most cases, these conditions include a requirement that you cannot physically move outside of Stark County (for example) or outside of a specific geographic region if it will make it more difficult for the noncustodial parent to exercise their rights.

However, the courts also know that circumstances change in people's lives. There may be issues of domestic violence. People get new jobs requiring them to move. Adoption. People meet people and get remarried. Elderly parents in another state may need in-home day care. Fortunately, there is a legal process to formally file a motion to grant the right to relocate outside of the geographic area originally prescribed.

Don't Just Pick Up And Move — Get Court Approval

I am Ohio family law lawyer Susan Pucci, in Canton. As a board-certified family law specialist,* I have years of experience helping parents work through the disputes that often arise out of motions to relocate. Although you may be at odds with your ex-spouse or the child's father now, the most important thing to remember is that some solution is almost always available through negotiations and court orders.

I cannot stress this enough: DO NOT MOVE WITH YOUR CHILD WITHOUT A COURT ORDER. The noncustodial parent has rights and the court WILL uphold them.

There Are A Lot Of Misunderstandings. Call An Attorney For Legal Help.

Whether you are considering moving with your custodial child or need to fight a move-away petition, I am ready to help. Many people make inaccurate assumptions that their request will be disapproved or they will not be able to stop an unwanted relocation. I will explain the process and help you work toward a resolution that protects everyone's interests, especially your child's.

Call my office at 330-497-1300 or use the convenient email form to explain your circumstances. I will respond as quickly as possible.

*Certified by the Ohio State Bar Association Board Of Legal Specialization